Mum of murdered transgender: We accepted her for who she was

Mum of murdered transgender: We accepted her for who she was
Ms M. Mariayee showing a picture of her youngest child, Ms Sameera Krishnan, who was brutally murdered on Thursday (Feb 23). Photo: Malay Mail

Mum of murdered transgender: We accepted her for who she was

KARAK (Malaysia) — Ms M. Mariayee recalled the telephone conversation on Thursday (Feb 23) morning when her 34-year-old daughter Amutha informed her of the tragedy that had befallen the family.

The 54-year-old related to Malay Mail the events which unfolded following the gruesome murder of her youngest child Sameera Krishnan.

Ms Sameera, 26, the youngest of four siblings, was murdered in a pre-dawn attack in Kuantan the same day.

Four fingers of the transgender were severed when she tried to ward off the attack. She was also shot in the back, head, and buttocks.

Police are investigating if there were multiple attackers.

Ms Mariayee, a mother of four, disclosed how the family had accepted Ms Sameera, a florist, as a transgender.

“She was jovial, soft-spoken, and well-liked by her siblings and the rest of the family,” Ms Mariayee said at her two-room home in in Karak, Perak, on Sunday (Feb 26).

“She was different, but we accepted her for who she was and the changes she underwent.

“We respected her decision and were always there to support her. After her brutal murder, they (the media) labelled her with all sorts of things. This hurt the family, relatives and friends.

 “My brother Allgesan and his son took me to the mortuary to identify the body. I was devastated and shocked to see my child (Ms Sameera) in that condition. It was difficult to identify her.

“Why would anyone want to do this to her? Only a mother can understand my anguish.”

After the body was claimed, the pre-funeral rites were performed.

Ms Mariayee said Ms Sameera grew up in Karak and left home when she turned 19.

“She left home and I could sense what she was going through... the family knew. There was no hatred, no disgust.”

Later, the family learnt that Ms Sameera left for Klang where she stayed with friends.

“She kept us informed of her well-being regularly and she visited us sometimes.”

Those visits were precious for the family as they had meals and watched movies together.

“Sameeera last spoke to me on my birthday last month and reminded me of hers. Coincidentally, her birthday fell on the same day we held the cremation (of her body).”

After the cremation on Friday (Feb 24), the family home remained blanketed with grief and sorrow as burning incense placed in front of Ms Sameera’s photograph filled the air.

“She was good natured, God-fearing, and always respected the elders,” Mr Allgesan said.

“The last time I met her was in December during her visit here. We had a long chat about her work and she seemed happy.”

Mr Allgesan said he did not know why anyone would want to hurt Ms Sameera.

“I am devastated over the loss of my niece. The manner she was murdered was so brutal. I hope the people involved will be brought to justice,” added the 56-year old lorry driver.

Had Ms Sameera lived, she would the main witness in her own kidnapping case, which had been set for hearing at a Shah Alam court early next month.

On Feb 9, 2015, she was abducted by four men who also gang-raped her.

“They bound her hands and feet with barbed wire before sexually assaulting her with bottles. They also used a pair of pliers to twist and tear her nipples,” The Star quoted a friend of Ms Sameera of saying then.

She was allegedly abducted due to a financial dispute between one of her close friends and her captors.

Police remain tight-lipped over the murder of Ms Sameera.

Kuantan police chief Assistant Commissioner Aziz Salleh told Malay Mail: “We have several leads.” AGENCIES